This assessment focuses on the assessment of opportunities and challenges for Australian businesses that intend to expand their business in select emerging markets. Your role is to advise the senior management team of your chosen organisation about potential opportunities and challenges associated with international expansion to a select emerging market. To achieve this objective, you need to select an organisation as well as an emerging market from the list below and undertake an extensive research on the micro environment (i.e., the internal environment of your chosen organisation) and the macro environment of Australia (i.e., the home country) and your chosen emerging market (i.e., the host country) to identify the differences between home country and host country to spotlight the opportunities and challenges for the senior management of the organisation that you are consulting.
This assessment should help students build their knowledge and understanding of external environmental assessment, problem diagnosis, strategy development, and the consideration of micro and macro-level factors that influence the strategic decision of entering an emerging market. Thus, it is expected that this assessment will equip students with a well-formed view of the nuances of international business environment and theories to guide the strategic options available to the firm while considering international expansion as their next growth path.
Assessment 1, 2 and 3 are interrelated in nature that requires your careful attention to choose an organisation and the emerging market as you would not be allowed to change your mind moving on to the assessment 2 and 3. Select an organisation from the following list:
Select an emerging market from the following list:
After you have chosen an Australian organisation and an emerging market from the list above, undertake an in-depth research on the organisation and the political-legal, socio-cultural, economic, technological and natural environment of both Australia and your chosen emerging market to spotlight the differences that emerged out of your research and describe the importance of those differences with regards to the opportunities as well as challenges for the organisation’s international expansion to the select emerging market. To frame your analysis and discussion, PESTEL, CAGE, Strategy Tripod, Five Forces Model and Porters Diamond Model are relevant theoretical framework. You are not expected to use all of them but two that are most suitable for the context of your research (one for external/macro business environment analyses e.g., PESTEL/CAGE and the other for the analyses of the industry condition e.g., Porter’s Five Forces Model, Diamond Model etc.).
Whilst the format may vary for your analysis, below is suggested format for you to follow:
∙ Executive summary: between 150 and 200 words (not included in the total word count). Discuss succinctly the overall purpose, analytical framework, key findings and strategic implications of those findings.
- Introduction: Briefly discuss background of the organisation, it’s business, competitiveness, annual revenue, degree of competition in the local market, market share, position etc.. Suggested 300 words.
- Country Analyses: Discuss the key descriptive Information for micro (i.e., internal environment of the organisation) and macro environment (i.e., external environment of both the home and the host country) as well as the overall industry condition of the host country in which the chosen organisation belongs to. Suggested 800 words.
- The firm and its micro environment, including relevant theoretical framework (see above). • Evaluation of the overall condition of the particular industry of the chosen emerging market (i.e., the host country) and the theoretical framework (see above).
- The macro environment in which the chosen corporate entity has to operate in one selected national market, including theoretical framework (see above).
- Discussion: This section should highlight discrepancies in the external business environment (e.g., PESTEL) between Australia and the chosen emerging market as well as overall industry condition of the particular emerging market. Critically evaluate the discrepancies from a theoretical standpoint to inform the senior management of the organisation what do they mean in terms of their international expansion, how the senior management can leverage their resources and capabilities to navigate the operating environment of the host country to tap the market opportunities. Suggested 300 words
- Conclusion. Your conclusion should mirror your opening recapping highlights that lead to a conclusion. Highlight only the key points that summarise your main findings, which might include presenting new, important facts, projections or a justification for the reader. Suggested 100 words
- Reference list. Provide complete reference of the resources that are cited in the text follow the APA referencing guidelines.
- Appendix (not mandatory, any material that supports points made in the main body)
It is essential that you use appropriate APA style consistently for citing and referencing your research throughout the report. Please see more information on referencing here:
Criteria for Assessment
Your assessment will be graded according to the criteria set out in the Assessment Rubric below. Please read this carefully.
Submit the report via the Assessment link in the main navigation menu in MGT611/MGMT6015 International Business Strategy. The Learning Facilitator will provide feedback via the Grade Centre in the LMS portal. Feedback can be viewed in My Grades.
All students are responsible for ensuring that all work submitted is their own and is appropriately referenced and academically written according the Academic Writing Guide. Students also need to have read and be aware of Torrens University Australia Academic Integrity Policy and Procedure and subsequent penalties for academic misconduct. These are viewable online.
Students also must keep a copy of all submitted material and any assessment drafts.