Task 1. Co-authored research report (25 marks)
This project relates to the importance of information systems in business operations. Each group will select two NYSE (The New York Stock Exchange) publicly traded, competing companies to research each company’s usage of information systems.
For each company research and discuss their history of existence, the information systems utilised by each company, and the advantages and disadvantages of employing information systems to manage people, organizations, and technology.
Your submission should incorporate 1-4:
- The corporation’s history of existence and what products and/or services do both companies offer.
- Describe the types of information systems that each company uses – e.g. SAP Hana
- How does the information systems manage data collection and manipulate data?
- How are the information systems being used to establish a competitive advantage?
- Any similarities (or differences) in the information systems used by both companies.
– Report must be 2000-2500 words in length (approx.)
– Each group must use Microsoft Teams AT ALL TIMES to demonstrate equal contribution of work among members, and evidence of information
sharing, group meeting etc.
– Report must include:
o At least four (4) credible, outside sources and cite them using
p A mix of both primary and secondary sources, with at least one
source from a scholarly journal.
Sources for locating the information system(s) employed by a company may include the company’s corporate website, LinkedIn SlideShare website (which details a company’s prole and information systems), corporate SEC listings, and public corporate documents on information system projects and implementation.
Primary sources are first-hand accounts such as interviews, advertisements, speeches, company documents, statements, and press releases published by the company in question.
Secondary sources come from peer-reviewed scholarly journals, such as the Journal of Management. Secondary sources may also come from reputable websites with .gov, .edu, or .org in the domain. (Wikipedia is not a reputable source, though the sources listed in Wikipedia articles may be acceptable.
UBSS Online Library
Students have access to UBSS Online Library collection via myGCA portal. This access currently consists of:
EbscoHost, Proquest, Emerald, Informit and Cengage eBook collection.
Your grade will be adversely affected if your report contains no/poor citations and/or reference lists.
Task 1. Grading Rubric (25 marks)
Effective Use of Microsoft Teams (10 marks)
Each group must show:
– Evidence of Individual contribution to group project using MS Teams incl. evidence of regular meetings held and minuted.
– Evidence to show use of Microsoft Teams Apps (E.g. Microsoft Planner, chat, video chat), assign tasks and track key milestones.
Task 2. Group presentation to class (25 marks)
Having completed the Co-authored report (Task 1), your group is required to develop a PowerPoint presentation summarising the main points from Task 1.
You must record your presentation using MS Teams keeping to the strict time limit. The presentation should provide an overview of the main elements and main findings.
Submission Element Component Marks
Marks will be based on:
– Overview of all findings relating to Task 1
– Slides have consistent, professional theme (colour, font, layout) with appropriate use of graphics. (5 marks)
TASK 2. Group Presentation – Presentation is pitched appropriately for 25 marks (25 marks) the target audience – professional, with
emphasis on key issues, supported by explanation and reasoning – Slides are not too complicated, busy or over-whelming with detail. (5 marks)
– Presentation time is within 6–8 minutes and within slide number limit.
– Every member in the group to have equal participation in the presentation
Suitable figures (tables) used where applicable and effectively to support findings. (5 marks)