Are You Looking Help For MITS4003 Assignment 2 ??
In this assessment, you will apply normalization techniques to evaluate the entities designed in Assessment 1 and ensure that all relations are normalized to at least the third normal form (3NF).
Note: This is an individual assignment carrying 10% of the total mark in this unit. The submission deadline is end of the week of session 9.
This assessment item relates to the unit learning outcomes as in the unit descriptor. This assessment is designed to improve students’ skills to analyze organization database requirements, normalize a database and use data manipulation language to manage a database. This assessment covers the following LOs.
3. Derive a physical design from the logical design taking into account application, hardware, operating system, and data communications networks requirements; further use of data manipulation language to query, update, and manage a database
4. Identify functional dependencies, referential integrity, data integrity and security requirements; Further integrate and merge physical design by applying normalization techniques.
5. Design and build a database system using the knowledge acquired in the unit as well as through further research on recent trends to demonstrate competence in various advanced tasks with regard to modelling, designing, and implementing a DBMS including Data warehousing, Data Management, DB Security.
This assessment is designed to assess student’s knowledge, skill and application of knowledge and skill in relation to
1. Design guidelines for relational schemas.
2. Database design process.
3. Application of normalization techniques.
4. Building a database.
5. Data manipulation language.
Task 1 (Weighting 20%)
Ensure all tables designed in Assignment 1 satisfies the design guidelinesfor relational schemas.
• Identify any non-semantic columns in each table and transform tables where the tables should have semantic columns.
• Identify tables which could possibly have any anomalies and remove all anomalies from the tables.
• Identify any columns which may have frequently null values and remove or revised those columns. If nulls are unavoidable, then make sure that they apply in exceptional cases only.
• Identify any possibility of spurious tuples and avoid such relations that contain matching columns that are not primary key and foreign key combination.
Task 2 (Weighting 30%) Apply normalization technique on all tables designed in Assignment 1.
• Identify any repeating group of columns in each table and transform unnormalized tables into tables that are in 1st Normal Form.
• Identify any partial dependencies in each table and transform 1NF table into tables that are in 2nd Normal Form.
• Identify any transitive dependencies in each table and transform 2NF table into tables that are in 3rd Normal Form.
Please note: Your tables must be in 3NF.
Task 3 (Weighting 50%)
This task must execute on MS SQL Server and be able to be demonstrated. SQL code required (Use MS SQL Server):
• Write a Create database statementto create a database and also, write a Create Table statement for all tables including integrity constraints.
• INSERT INTO statementsfor populating the database.
o You must at least enter 5 records for each table.
o Data may need to be inserted in a particular order to comply with the integrity constraints.
• SELECT statement that will list all houses / apartments that have not been rented.
o The details may be included like house id, classification, number of bedrooms, number of washrooms, garden, parking for number of cars, rent per day, etc.
• SELECT statement that will produce the total amount paid per customer.
o The details may be included customer id, registration date, customer name, customer address, customer phone number and total amount paid, etc.
1. Yoursubmission should be clear and concise and in your own words.
2. One submission per student.
3. Use headings to guide the marker and include tables or diagrams where required. 4. The referencing style must follow the IEEE referencing style.
1. Follow the link in Moodle to upload your submission on or before the deadline. All submissions must be done in LMS using the respective link provided.
2. Submission must be made by the due date and time as determined by the unit facilitator. Submissions made after the due date/time will be penalized at the rate of 20% per day (including Saturday, Sunday and public holidays).
3. Incidence of plagiarism will be penalized based on VIT Academic Integrity Policy and Procedure.
4. Submit your work in a word document file named ‘Student_Id_MITS4003_A2’.