Purpose of the Assignment:
The assignment focuses on the role of OS as an interface between the user and the computer hardware, and the use of command line interface. It helps the students to understand the different types of OS and their relative performances.
With this assignment, students will learn how to research and comprehend the basic concepts of OS, and appreciate the differences and similarities in the interfacing role they play on various computing and communication devices.
Assignment 1 Questions 50 Marks
- MIT is all set to diversify and start a new department specialized in conventional and cloud operating system design and development for 2000 people. As an analyst, you are asked to design, optimize cost, and improve the system by choosing the programming language used for non-cloud-based operating system and an appropriate platform for cloud operating system. [25 Marks]
- List all the programming languages used for Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Name the programming languages (from listed in a) that you used before.
- List the most popular programming languages for the said operating systems and the reasons for choosing that programming language.
- List all the cloud platforms and the best one among them for MIT cloud operating system.
- Include the reasons for choosing the best one.
2. Discuss in detail about open source and closed source operating system, list down all open source and closed source operating system in a tabular form and mention those that are used in MIT campus. [15 Marks]
3. Provide the list of 2 applications that use batch processing OS. Justify why the applications use batch processing concept. [10 Marks]